CEO hosts lunchtime community forums on the second Thursday of each month from October through May, noon to 1:30 pm at various locations on or near the UC Berkeley campus (location info is posted for each event below). Bring your brown bag lunch.
Forums are intended to bring the community together for discussion, information sharing, and skill building. Forums are open to all. Except where indicated below, no RSVP is required.
Past forums have focused on diversity and broadening participation in STEM, innovations in teaching and learning, informal science education, assessment of learning impacts, implementation of K-12 Next Generation Science Standards, new research in the science of teaching and learning, federal and state STEM education policy, and more. Forums may take the form of single speaker presentations, panels, or workshops. All events are informal, with ample time dedicated to discussion and idea-sharing.
CEO events are ADA accessible. For disability accommodation requests and information, please contact Disability Access Services by phone at 510.643.6456 (voice) or 510.642.6376 (TTY) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thurs, Nov 9, noon-1:30 pm: Developing outreach activities to highlight your research. Why should science outreach be an essential component of research labs and scientist training? In this session, we focus on how to develop an outreach activity that highlights the focal research of your lab group or program. What should you consider when developing activities, and what resources are available to help you succeed? Panelists from two campus lab groups will provide insights on best practices for engaging audiences and lessons learned from their experiences. Presenters: David Whitney, Professor, Dept of Psychology; Brian Wang, PhD student, Sarpong Lab, Dept of Chemistry; and Traci Grzymala, Community Resources for Science. Location: 375 LeConte Hall, UC Berkeley campus.
- Thurs, Dec 14, noon-1:30 pm: STEM in the Media: Insights from KQED Science and UCB Media Relations. Are you a researcher who would like to share your science with a wide audience? Or are you involved in STEM education and outreach and want to connect with the media to highlight your events? This interactive forum will feature: Craig Rosa, senior digital editor-KQED Science, and series producer-Deep Look; and Bob Sanders, manager, science communications, UC Berkeley Media Relations. Rosa and Sanders will discuss how to capture the media’s attention and effectively communicate your STEM activities. Location: 375 LeConte Hall, UC Berkeley campus.
- RSVP is required for this session (see instructions below)!
Thurs, Jan 11 (2018), noon-1:30 pm: From STEM to STEAM: Exploring E&O Opportunities with Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive (BAMPFA). Featured speaker: Lynne Kimora, collections engagement associate and academic liaison, BAMPFA. CEO is invited to a behind-the-scenes visit to the acclaimed Berkeley Art Museum, which curates many exhibits that draw connections between art and science. BAMPFA is also deeply committed to engaging with students and the community. In this session, we will hear about their science-related programs, including a sneak preview of the Spring 2018 series on Earth, Air, Fire and Water – which will demonstrate both the aesthetic and scientific aspects of the four elements. We’ll also explore ways that CEO and BAMPFA can collaborate to support our related efforts in education, outreach and diversity. Following the session, all CEO attendees are welcome to tour the museum on their own and enjoy the delicious offerings at Café Babette. Admission is free for all CEO participants who RSVP in advance. RSVP is required for this session as space is limited. RSVP by email to Dan Zevin, email@example.com. Location: BAMPFA, 2155 Center Street, Berkeley.
- Thurs, Feb 8, noon-1:30 pm. TBA.
- Thurs, Mar 8, noon-1:30 pm. TBA.
- Thurs, Apr 12, noon-1:30 pm. TBA.
- Thurs, May 10, noon-1:30 pm. TBA.
For a list of past CEO forums, go to the CEO topics and speakers archive.